Mental health is a subject that has always pulled on my heart-strings, and it comes into play when welcoming a baby into the world. To prepare a family for discharge from the hospital, I always include a discussion about baby blues and postpartum depression. I would like to share my spiel because I believe it is so IMPORTANT.

The mental impact of adjusting to life with a new baby varies, but there are two facts: this is a huge transition and there are crazy postpartum hormones. Sounds like the perfect recipe for a mental breakdown, if you ask me! Therefore, during the first couple weeks after delivery, it is common to experience the "baby blues". This manifests as mild depression symptoms, and it will resolve with no intervention. Now if symptoms progress or persist, or if they become apparent in 2 weeks or more, it is considered postpartum depression.  These symptoms can be severe and progress to thoughts of harming your baby or yourself, and are not something to ignore.
Unfortunately, it is not uncommon to struggle with postpartum depression, however the good news is that there are solutions. For each individual, the road to recovery will be different because there is not one solution that works for everyone, but the first step is always to tell someone how you are feeling. It is so important to reach out to the support people in your life for encouragement and help. A word of advice: sometimes others will notice changes in your mood before you are aware of it yourself, don't write off their concern, and take some time to consider it. Along with being honest with your loved ones, make sure that you discuss your feelings with your doctor. Being honest with yourself and others is the only way to find the help and support you need to get back to feeling like you. Now I ask you the same thing I have asked of many mommas: promise me that you will tell someone if you can't shake the blues. Okay?

You may find yourself wondering why this subject is pertinent to a blog about lactation, so let me explain. One of the AMAZING! benefits of breastfeeding is that it helps ease postpartum recovery. The release of oxytocin and prolactin when breastfeeding provides protective effects that help to reduce stress. However, I have found that breastfeeding can also add strain to an already overwhelmed momma. I have seen how difficult and stressful breastfeeding can become for some families, and that stressor can be the "straw that breaks the camel's back".  

As I state in this blog's mission, "My goal is to foster a community of positivity and learning centered around growing healthy babies and happy families," and that may mean supporting your decision to not breastfeed. Obviously, I believe full-heartedly in the positive power of breastfeeding, however at the end of the day, I want you to be happy and be able to enjoy the blessings of your growing family. Bottomline: breastfeeding is totally worthwhile and provides a lifetime of benefits, but it is not worth sacrificing your mental well-being.

Let me know if you need a lactation cheerleader! YOU CAN DO IT! 🎉

Peace, joy and blessings!

Comments